The Gunners boss has refused to rule out a move for the Liverpool striker, with Goal exclusively revealing the club are preparing to lodge an improved £35 million bid
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has refused to answer questions on the club’s interest in Liverpool striker Luis Suarez.
The Gunners contacted Liverpool last week regarding the striker’s availability before Goal exclusively revealed that the north London outfit are preparing to lodge a £35 million bid.
However, when quizzed about the controversial Uruguay international during a press conference as part of Arsenal’s Asia tour, Wenger refused to comment on the situation.
“Suarez? As you know the transfer period demands secrets and confidentiality, so I can’t answer the question,” the Frenchman told reporters.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers insisted on Friday that he does not want to sell Suarez and will fight to keep him at Anfield this summer.
Rodgers revealed he is in “constant communication” with the 26-year-old, who is on holiday after the Confederations Cup, and insisted Suarez is committed to the Merseyside club.
“He’s got three years left on his contract. We don’t want to sell him. We think we can put up a real fight next season,” he told talkSPORT.
“He’s a real competitor, he’s a winner, he wants Liverpool to do well, he wants to be working at the real high level.”
Suarez, who scored 30 goals in all competitions last season, seems determined to leave the club though, and even admitted he was flattered by the Gunners’ interest.