No bids for Southampton stars – Koeman

The likes of Nathaniel Clyne, Morgan Schneiderlin and Victor Wanyama have all been linked with other clubs, but the Saints boss says no firm offers are on the table


Ronald Koeman insists he has received no bids for any of his Southampton stars in the wake of speculation linking Victor Wanyama with Arsenal.

The Kenya midfielder rejected a report that emerged earlier on Thursday that included quotes attributed to him claiming that Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is keen to sign him.

Rumours have also linked right-back Nathaniel Clyne with a summer move to Manchester United, but Koeman is adamant there has been no serious interest in his players.

He said on Friday: “I’ve spoken to Victor. He says it’s not true what they put in the press and I believe the player but it’s a good signal for everybody that we have to be focused on the football side and not about the future, about contracts.

“If you’re doing well like we do then there is always interest in players, but still all the players have contracts for next season and, until now, there is no serious bid for the players.

“We will see what happens. We don’t have the pressure to sell players.”

Koeman has responded to the latest transfer rumours regarding by sitting down with his squad and calling for concentration levels to be high as Southampton chase a top-six finish in the Premier League.

“We had a meeting with all the players because what we need is now to have the focus on the last five games we play, a European position [is] on the table,” said Koeman added as he faced the media ahead of Saturday’s game against Tottenham, which pits sixth versus seventh.

“We have a massive game this Saturday and no interest in rumours, in talking in press about future, about contracts, to have the focus on the football side.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.