Nagoya Grampus 1–3 Arsenal: Giroud on target again as Gunners win in Japan

Arsenal picked up their third win of their pre-season tour, and their first of their two matches in Japan, with a 3-1 win over Nagoya Grampus.

Olivier Giroud continued his fine early season form with his sixth goal of the tour so far, while local favourite Ryo Miyaichi delighted the huge crowd with a penalty and Theo Walcott added a third before the hosts pulled one back.

The Gunners began the game quickly with Giroud on the scoresheet after just three minutes.

Carl Jenkinson began the move, finding Rosicky on the right and his superb cross on the run was headed powerfully home by Giroud.

A second nearly followed immediately with Walcott going down in the box under pressure, but denied a penalty before Miyaichi slashed a shot wide of the goal.

After continuing to dominate the early exchanges, however, it did not take Arsenal too long to double their lead.

Mid-way through the first half. Giroud was involved once again, his cut-back to Miyachi clearly handled in the area, with the referee pointing straight to the spot.

Up stepped Miyachi, to a huge roar from the fans, the 20-year-old smashing home a fine penalty kick to double Arsenal’s lead.

Yet for all the visitors’ good work, they were a little fortunate not to concede just before half-time with the hosts fashioning two fine chances, but denied by poor finishing.

Yoshizumi Ogawa was the culprit, first heading a great chance straight at Fabianski, when unmarked, before moment later scuffing another effort goalwards when clean through.

Predictably the Gunners made changes at half-time with Jack Wilshere introduced and two further substitutes Serge Gnabry and Lukas Podolski combining to good effect immediately.

Podolski showed neat feet in the area to set up his countryman but he could not find the finish to match, firing wide of the near post from close range.

Substitute Gnabry then brought the crowd to its feet, throwing in a step over, and beating two players before aiming a shot that was millimetres away from nestling in the top corner.

A minute later and the ball was in the back of the net again, this time set up by another substitute 16-year-old Gedion Zelalem

The teenager picked out Walcott in the box with a glorious pass allowing the England international, wasteful until that point, to take a touch before dinking the ball over the goalkeeper.

The chances continue to come with Wilshere and Walcott denied by some good goalkeeping before the hosts managed to grab a consolation.

A corner was swung in from the right by Tanko and found Yano in between centre-backs Mertesacker and Sagna, who headed home strongly.

Wenger then opted to throw on youngsters Chuba Akpom and Chuks Aneke, who along with Zelalem and Gnabry looked hugely promising as the Gunners saw out the rest of the game comfortably.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.